Answer to a question from a reader

SARS has the wrong ID number for me. What can I do?

The short answer

If the company has submitted incorrect information, they need to correct it and resend to SARS.

The whole question

Dear Athalie

I have worked for the same company for 21 years and have been paying tax for 30. Now, SARS does not accept my ID number. When my work submits documents, SARS does not recognise the number. I can't even make an appointment because my information from the company is not correct and I have been retrenched. How do I fix this?

The long answer

SARS says that it checks your date of birth, your ID number and your passport number with the Department of Home Affairs, which keeps a register of all IDs. 

Your employer should issue you with a hard copy of your IRP5 certificate, which you need to check to make sure that the information is correct before you sign it and submit it to SARS.

If the company has submitted incorrect information for you, you should contact your employer and ask them to correct and resend the correct information to SARS, and to notify you when it is done so that you can confirm with SARS. 

You could also contact SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 SARS (7277) and ask what you can do.

Wishing you the best,

Answered on Feb. 18, 2021, 11 a.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.