Answer to a question from a reader

As a non-permanent military employee with one dependent who is sick and not working, do I qualify for an RDP house?

The short answer

It would depend on how much you earn. Otherwise, you can apply for a FLISP subsidy.

The whole question

I'm military personnel but I'm not permanently employed – meaning I can go for about 6 months without work and pay. My salary depends on the number of days worked and I cannot get any benefits from the Orga because I'm not permanently employed.

I desperately need a home for myself and my mother. She is my only dependant but she's sick and not working.

Do I qualify to apply for an RDP house?

The long answer

Thank you for your email asking if, as a non-permanent military employee with one dependent, your mother, who is sick and not working, you qualify to apply for an RDP house.

It would depend on how much you earn. If you take the wages you get from the SANDF for the time in a year that you are actually working, and divide it by 12, you can see whether it amounts to less or more than R3,500 per month. You can’t earn more than that per household to qualify for an RDP house. 

These are the criteria to qualify for an RDP house. You must be:

  • A South African citizen

  • Over 21 and mentally competent to sign a contract

  • Married or living with a partner, or single and have dependants (single military veterans or aged people without dependents also qualify)

  • Earn less than R3,500 per month per household (so if two people in your family earn and these earnings amount to more than R3,500 per month you will not qualify)

  • A first-time government subsidy recipient

  • A first-time homeowner

If you earn more than R3,500 but less than R22,000 a month (which is the minimum amount you need to earn to qualify for a home loan from a bank), you could still qualify for a government housing scheme, called the Finance Linked Individual Subsidy Programme (FLISP).

I will copy and paste below from a GroundUp article:

“FLISP helps people who qualify for a home loan to buy a house for the first time. FLISP gives you a grant which can be used to reduce the initial loan amount. This will make your monthly repayments lower. It can also be used as a deposit. 

The subsidy rates were amended in 2018, so If you earn R15,000 a month, you can now qualify for a subsidy of R62,304, compared to the previous amount of R20,000. If you earn R22,000 a month you can qualify for a subsidy of R27,960.

Since the 2018 changes to the FLISP programme, if you are a public servant getting housing assistance through the Government Employees Housing Subsidy Scheme (GEHS), you can still qualify for a FLISP subsidy. Contact the National GEHS Administrator to register for a FLISP subsidy.  

FLISP grants can be used for both existing houses and to build a new one. It used to be the case that you could not sell a FLISP house before eight years, like an RDP house, but that no longer applies. However, if you sell your house, you may not apply for a second FLISP grant.

Besides getting approval for a home loan and earning between R3,500 and R22,000 per month, you must meet the same criteria as described for RDP houses above.

To apply for a FLISP grant, you must first go to your bank or financial institution and apply for a home loan. For that you will need:

  • Certified copy of your South African ID or passport/permanent residence permit

  • Copy of your signed Offer to Purchase the house or property

  • Proof of your current residential address

  • Official salary slip or stamped bank statement showing the last three months of income

To qualify for a home loan you have to be over 21, have been employed for a minimum of six months, have no defaults on your credit profile and earn above the minimum salary requirement as decided by your chosen bank. If your home loan application is denied, your FLISP application will not be considered.

Once this has been completed:

  • Ask for an “Approval in Principle” letter from the bank.

  • Register on the FLISP website: or go to your municipal offices to register for a FLISP grant.

  • Compile the following certified documents for your application:

    • Home Loan Approval in Principle letter from your bank

    • Completed FLISP application form available from National Housing Finance Corporation (NHFC) website

    • RSA ID document or permanent residence permit

    • Certified copies of birth certificates/RSA IDs of all your dependents, and proof of foster children guardianship (where applicable)

    • Proof of marriage, civil union or partnership (an affidavit can be done for the latter)

    • Divorce settlement (where applicable)

    • Spouse’s death certificate (where applicable)

    • Proof of monthly income

    • Agreement of sale for the property or building contract and approved building plan (where applicable)

Once this is done, your completed FLISP application will be sent to the National Housing Finance Corporation to be processed.”

Answered on Nov. 10, 2020, 11:30 a.m.

See more questions and answers

Please note. We are not lawyers or financial advisors. We do our best to make the answers accurate, but we cannot accept any legal liability if there are errors.