Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: Labour  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

I resigned my job months ago but I still haven't received my provident fund payout. What can I do?

If you belong to a bargaining council fund it can take up to six months.

Read more

My late father worked as a domestic worker for 11 years but was not registered. What can I do?

All employers must register employees with the Unemployment Insurance Fund. You can report the employers to the Labour Department.

Read more

How do miners with TB or silicosis get compensation?

There are four steps to follow to submit a claim.

Read more

My boss swears at me and sent fake details to the labour department. We don't get holiday pay. What can I do about it?

Not registering you and sending fake details to the Department of Labour is a crime, as is not paying your annual leave or swearing at you.

Read more

Our bosses drive the best cars but pay us less than R20 per hour and don't contribute to UIF. What can we do?

You can join a union and insist on your rights under the law.

Read more

How do I go about claiming my provident fund from work?

Most provident funds say you must remain a member of the fund as long as you are employed by the employer participating in the fund.

Read more

I believe a CCMA arbitrator was biased against me. What can I do?

You do not have the right to appeal a decision of the arbitrator, but you can take the arbitrator to the Labour Court for misconduct.

Read more

We work long hours and below minimum wage. What can we do?

You cannot be dismissed for insisting on your rights under the law.

Read more