Ask Athalie Banner

Answers to your questions

Have a question you would like answered? Email us and we may answer it. The questions here are based on ones from our readers, with identifying information removed.

Topic: Tertiary Education  |  Show questions and answers for all topics

Can the college where I studied withhold my certificates if I cannot pay the outstanding fees?

While the Higher Education Act of 1997 (HEA) grants the right to institutions to set policies and rules for its students, the HEA does not mention the supposed right to withhold certificates

Read more

How can a foreign student get financial aid if they got good matric results?

It is very difficult for foreign citizens to get financial aid in South Africa. Perhaps approach the institution where you want to study and ask them if they can help you.

Read more

How can I get a South African ID so that I can further my studies?

If either of your parents has permanent residency in South Africa, you would qualify to apply for permanent residence too. Then after five years, you could apply for citizenship by naturalisation.

Read more

I was denied a student visa because my name is on an ÔÇťinternal control listÔÇŁ but I have never even been to South Africa. What can I do?

The simplest route would probably be to get help from an organisation that regularly deals with Home Affairs' dysfunction.

Read more

Can a university report unpaid fees to a credit bureau?

It is usually debt collectors rather than universities that report unpaid debts to the credit bureau. You can check your credit status online.

Read more

How do I apply for Adult Basic Education Training (ABET) if I don't have my report?

You can make an affidavit explaining your circumstances and ask your old school for a copy.

Read more

I get an error code on my birth certificate when I try to apply for tertiary education. Is there some way around this?

You will likely need a late registration of birth certificate but you can apply for a temporary ID in the meantime.

Read more

How should matric 2020 learners without IDs apply to tertiary education institutions?

You can still apply for a temporary ID at Home Affairs.

Read more

Can graduates in the critical skills category receive a waiver from having to work for 5 years before applying for Permanent Residence?

Yes, if you have graduated from a South African university.

Read more

CPUT student structures have to agree to the ideology of the SRC or face being being kicked off campus. Can the SRC do this?

The SRC has mistaken its mandate, which is to lead, represent and defend the student body according to the SRC Constitution, in favour of asserting its own ideological preferences.

Read more